There are no events
- Biologically inspired swimming robotic frog based on pneumatic soft actuators 26. May 2020Research on soft robots and swimming robots has been widely reported and demonstrated. However, none of these soft swimming robots can swim flexibly and efficiently using legs, just like a frog. This paper demonstrates a self-contained, untethered swimming robotic frog actuated by 12 pneumatic soft actuators, which can swim in the water for dozens of […]Fan Jizhuang, Du Qilong, Yu Qingguo, Wang Yi, Qi Jiaming and Zhu Yanhe
- Strategies to modulate zebrafish collective dynamics with a closed-loop biomimetic robotic system 18. May 2020The objective of this study is to integrate biomimetic robots into small groups of zebrafish and to modulate their collective behaviours. A possible approach is to have the robots behave like sheepdogs. In this case, the robots would behave like a different species than the fish and would present different relevant behaviours. In this study, […]Yohann Chemtob, Leo Cazenille, Frank Bonnet, Alexey Gribovskiy, Francesco Mondada and José Halloy
- Pennate actuators: force, contraction and stiffness 18. May 2020Hierarchical actuators are comprised of multiple individual actuator elements arranged into a system, resulting in improved and expanded performance. Natural muscle tissue is a complex and multi-level example of hierarchical actuation, with its hierarchy spanning from the micrometer to the centimeter scale. In addition to a hierarchical configuration, muscle tissue exists in varying geometric arrangements. […]Tyler Jenkins and Matthew Bryant
- Moving academic research forward during COVID-19 28. May 2020A gradual, stepwise approach to reopening, informed by public health expertise, will be essentialWigginton, N. S., Cunningham, R. M., Katz, R. H., Lidstrom, M. E., Moler, K. A., Wirtz, D., Zuber, M. T.
- A phage-encoded anti-CRISPR enables complete evasion of type VI-A CRISPR-Cas immunity 28. May 2020The crRNA-guided nuclease Cas13 recognizes complementary viral transcripts to trigger the degradation of both host and viral RNA during the type VI CRISPR-Cas antiviral response. How viruses can counteract this immunity is not known. We describe a listeriophage (LS46) encoding an anti-CRISPR protein (AcrVIA1) that inactivated the type VI-A CRISPR system of Listeria seeligeri. Using […]Meeske, A. J., Jia, N., Cassel, A. K., Kozlova, A., Liao, J., Wiedmann, M., Patel, D. J., Marraffini, L. A.
- Reducing transmission of SARS-CoV-2 27. May 2020Masks and testing are necessary to combat asymptomatic spread in aerosols and dropletsPrather, K. A., Wang, C. C., Schooley, R. T.
- Ethical guidelines for COVID-19 tracing apps 28. May 2020Nature, Published online: 28 May 2020; doi:10.1038/d41586-020-01578-0Protect privacy, equality and fairness in digital contact tracing with these key questions.Jessica Morley
- NASA’s isolation experts: Lockdown lessons from space 28. May 2020Nature, Published online: 28 May 2020; doi:10.1038/d41586-020-01598-wScientists at the US agency offer advice about remote working, social isolation and quarantine.Brian Owens
- Author Correction: Additive manufacturing of ultrafine-grained high-strength titanium alloys 28. May 2020Nature, Published online: 28 May 2020; doi:10.1038/s41586-020-2291-zAuthor Correction: Additive manufacturing of ultrafine-grained high-strength titanium alloysDuyao Zhang
- Synapse: Spark Biomimicry Ideas 26. August 2019Synapse by Biomimicry 3.8 is an environment for our staff to share their expertise and thought leadership in biomimicry with the world. It’s our way of inviting you to join us in our awe for the natural world and discover the inspirational ways that innovators from around the world are using biomimicry to solve tough challenges, […]jessica
- Beautiful News South Africa implements Biomimicry into Town Design 27. June 2018“For us to coexist with nature I think we really need to humble ourselves and learn from nature,” Swain says. As the founder of the NPO BioWise, she uses biomimicry to create sustainable solutions to environmental problems. To see the whole article and more, check out Beautiful News South Africa’s Facebook page. The post […]austin
- Impressive Impact: 2016-2018 Cohort Grads Ready to Lead 24. April 2018The newest set of Certified Biomimicry Professionals graduated during a ceremony in Kona, Hawaii The post Impressive Impact: 2016-2018 Cohort Grads Ready to Lead appeared first on Biomimicry 3.8.jenna